Epilepsy is a chronic condition that causes recurrent seizures. These seizures are the result of sudden over-arousal affecting the brain. The over-arousal spreads throughout the body, causing muscle contractions and seizures.
If left untreated, epilepsy will progress and lead to more serious consequences:
- Injuries from falling during a seizure;
- memory and learning problems;
- Loss of professional and social adaptability.
A number of clinical studies with cannabidiol have confirmed its effectiveness as an adjunctive therapy in severe forms of epilepsy. CBD use reduces the number of seizures by almost half in drug-resistant patients with Lennox-Gastaud syndrome. Cannabidiol also has many other therapeutic effects, including analgesic, anxiolytic, and antipsychotic.
Benefits of CBD Oil for Epilepsy:
- Decreases the number and intensity of seizures;
- Protects the neurons from damage;
- Regulates excessive brain activity;
- Supports the balance of GABA and Glu, the most important neurotransmitters of the CNS.
CBD is also well absorbed as its fat-soluble nature allows it to cross the blood-brain barrier efficiently. It also stands out from antiepileptic drugs as it has no dangerous side effects, even with highly concentrated products.